The current wihan was built over the old ruins. Wat Phrathat Pha Ngao houses a relatively small bell-shaped pagoda on a big boulder. In 1976, a Buddha image Luangpho Pha Ngao presumably 700 – 1300 years old was excavated. It is assumed that this was the principal temple of the Yonok Kingdometers This hilltop temple offers a spectacular view and behind it lays Phra Borommathat Phuttha Nimit Chedi. About a kilometre up the hill is the site of another ruined temple Wat Chedi Chet Yot. We can say that Wat Phrathat Pha Ngao and Wat Chedi Chet Yot are on the same hill. Its spacious and serene compound is ideal for practicing meditation. The 2-storey wooden Lanna Chiang Saen Textiles Museum is in front of Wat Phrathat Pha Ngao. The spacious common area downstairs serves as a weaving unit for the Ban Sop Kham housewives groups. Upstairs are displays of antique fabrics and utensils like weaving equipment, crockery, and artefacts discovered within the temple and village.
To get there: This temple/Dharma center is located 4 kilometers from Amphoe Chiang Saen, along the Chiang Saen – Chiang Khong road, opposite Sop Kham School.