In 1354, during the reign of King Sam Fang Kaen, who ruled Chiang Mai, lightning struck the chedi of Wat Phra Kaeo, situated on Trai Rat Road, Tambon Wiang, and cracked it open.
A Buddha image gilded with gold leaf on black lacquer was found inside the broken chedi. When that black lacquer came off, a beautiful jade figure was then seen concealed within it. This Emerald Buddha is now housed at the Temple of the Emerald Buddha in Bangkok. On 21 October, 1990, enshrined in the Ho Phra Yok or Hall of the Jade Buddha, a replica crafted from jade – Phra Yok Chiang Rai or Phra Phuttha Rattanakon Nawuttiwatsanuson Mongkhon was commissioned to honour the late Princess Mother’s 90th birthday anniversary.
The adjacent two-storey modern Lanna style building is a museum or Huang Luang Saeng Kaeo a reinforced concrete building lined with teak wood both outside and inside. It houses various revered Buddha images including Phra Chao Than Chai, Phra Prot Lok, Phra Phuttha Si Chiang Rai, as well as, a display of modern Buddhist art and culture.
For information contact Tel. 05371 1385 Fax. 0 5371 5875
www.watphrakaew-chiangrai.com open from 07.00 a.m. – 05.00 p.m.